Saturday, April 13, 2013

Other Voices

I should say something, I suppose, about the other maritime bloggers out there. There are a handful, most smarter/funnier/more informative than I am. I really enjoy reading their posts.

Sometimes we talk to each other. Sometimes we just read on the sly.

I got an email the other day from a very articulate crewboat captain who had been thinking of starting a blog (I hope he does) and did a quick search to see if there was anything out there and came up with ... this. Turned out he was working on a boat with an old acquaintance of mine -- one of four of us who fled the tourist fun fleet in Deep South Texas.

Small world.

New England Waterman, with whom I sometimes correspond, works out of Port Fourchon on one of the big mud boats. He posts better photos than I do, and provides some good insights into the 1600-ton world.

A captain I work with turned me on to Chronicles of Crew Change, by an unnamed tug officer. He's much, much funnier than I am, and I find that many of his "you have to laugh to keep from crying" moments are familiar.

I guess mariners' misery is universal.

I just got back to Hawsepiper: The Longest Climb and I wish I could access the posts from before five years ago. I'm still catching up, but already I can tell you this dude is whip-smart, well-read and someone who would probably be pretty interesting to share a wheelhouse with.

The Hawsepiper also posts semi-NSFW photos of beautiful Brazilian women (BBWs?) from time to time. Bonus points. (Papa, I know you just clicked on that link.)

Anyhow, check 'em out. They're all linked above, and also in my blogroll on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment