Friday, January 18, 2013

RADAR

Today is test day -- practical assessments, that is -- and the final day of the week-long RADAR Observer-Unlimited class at Fletcher College in Houma.

I have been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of instruction at this school; nice facilities, too.

The other five guys in my class come from a variety of companies, including a couple of the big boat outfits that have their own, in-house training programs. Nice fellas, and I'd be happy to sail with any of them.

I'm staying in Raceland, at Ms. Claudette's Home for Wayward Mariners. Nice digs, and the proprietress is full of helpful information. The best part, of course, is the opportunity to meet other mariners who also are in town for school or on the hunt for a gig.

Another captain here, down from Virginia, yesterday landed a 1600-ton mate position on a Choest ROVsupport vessel.

Most of us realize, I think, that there are plenty of boat companies and plenty of jobs out there, and we're willing to help-out the other guys however we can. And for all that, it's a small world and you never know when you're going to cross paths with someone again.

Wednesday I stopped by the dock in Morgan City and visited with my old crew. Good to see those knuckleheads, and good to see the boat post-shipyard (though it doesn't look like she got the overhaul I had expected).

Earlier in the week I was able to steal away a bit early one afternoon and squeezed in three interviews before offices closed; two were at companies in my "Top Three" list.

I should have an idea this afternoon if I'll be going to work at one or the other, or if my new job search extends into next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment